Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Artist of the Week: Stuart Davis

I have always liked hot music. There's something wrong with any American who doesn't. But I never realized that it was influencing my work until one day I put on a favorite record and listened to it while I was looking at a painting I had just finished. Then I got a funny feeling. If I looked, or if I listened, there was no shifting of attention. It seemed to amount to the same thing--like twins, a kinship. After that, for a long time, I played records while I painted"- Stuart Davis Stuart Davis ""Egg Beater No. 4 " 1928  modern art paintingConsidered a forefather of the Pop Art movement, Stuart Davis translated the visual imagery of New York City and the jazz music of the mid-20th Century into iconographic abstract paintings of squiggly lines and flashy colors. The career of Stuart Davis has encompassed the entire span of modern art in the United States. Stuart Davis was an American cubist painter whose colorful compositions, with their internal logic and structure, often camouflaged the American flavor of his themes.

As a boy in Philadelphia, Stuart Davis was surrounded by painters. Stuart’s father was art editor with the Philadelphia Press and among his employees was the young artists John Sloan, William Glackens, Everett Shinn and George Luks. Helen Stuart Foulke, Stuart’s mother, was a prominent sculptor who exhibited at the annual exhibitions of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and the Philadelphia Museum of Art. In the company of his parents and their famous artist friends, young Stuart Davis grew up surrounded by art. The Davis family moved to East Orange, New Jersey at the same time as the Philadelphia artist, Robert Henri, opened his school in New York City, and Stuart Davis left high school to attend it. Like other Henri students Stuart Davis supported himself by doing illustrations for Harper's Weekly. Stuart Davis exhibited watercolors in the famous Armory show of 1913. That show exposed Stuart Davis to the revolutionary paintings of modern Europe. read more

No comments: